By Marcia Custer
It’s that exciting time of the year, when Nutcracker productions are popping up across the city just as Christmas lights brighten tree lined streets and we all look forward to that seasonal eggnog latte. December is the time when every ballerina works her hardest, and is due a few short weeks of rest and relaxation.
What could make those weeks around the Holiday even better for our ballet-fevered friends? Why, wonderful dance-inspired presents, of course!
Ballet in Cleveland has been doing some scouting and has come up with a list of the top must haves for every ballerina- with a little holiday twist!
1. Pointe Magazine- Every dancer longs to be in the know about what’s going on in their community. A subscription to Pointe Magazine is the perfect way to find out everything from who’s joining ABT to how to care for your feet in between ballet classes.
2. First Position– What better way to see the ins and the outs of the competitive ballet world than owning the fascinating 2011 documentary that has just been released on DVD.
3. Bloch Ara Crop Long Sleeve Knit Sweater- When the winter weather finally makes its way to Ohio, it’s important to be prepared. Keeping muscles warm to prevent injury is essential for any dancer. But why not be safe and fashionable at the same time? Bloch’s newest dance sweater is perfect with a warm knit, a tight fit and thumb holes at the ends of the sleeves to keep them from peskily riding up in the middle of an elegant port a bras.
4. Alonzo King LINES Ballet @ Playhouse Square- World-renowned ballet company, headed by Alonzo King, comes to Cleveland in January. Let your ballerina see what hard work, training and skillful artistry can lead to as LINES Ballet performs original works both in Classical and Contemporary repertory.
5. Ballerina Cookie Cutter- If your dancer has a penchant for baking, one stocking stuffer they’ll surely enjoy is this cute ballerina cookie cutter from Etsy! A great present for young dancers who love a good treat or who are learning how to bake!
5. New York City Ballet Workout DVD- After taking some time off, it will be back to conditioning soon enough for many dancers. Keeping up with a mild workout routine (such as the NYCB Workout DVD) is a good way to lessen the blow for ballerinas going back into the studio come January. Narrated by Peter Martins, the workout begins with a floor barre and ends with a reverence, keeping up with the traditional ballet class.
6. Pilates Foam Body Roller- Winter time is for indulging and taking care of the body. Pilates’ foam body rollers not only help strengthen muscles but also help them to release and relax. We might suggest buying the pink foam roller- not only because it is a great color but because it supports breast cancer research!
7. Ballet Water Bottle– It’s important to keep hydrated- and what bett er way to do so than with this pun-tastic water bottle? You can choose from three different styles of container, but they all read with the ever-true statement that “life without ballet would be pointe-less”
8. Capezio Multi-Compartment Bag– When it’s time to go back to the studio, a ballerina must have a way to lug her Holiday haul of goodies! Capezio’s sleek pink and black bowling bag is perfect to eliminate bulk and still have enough compartments for shoes, hair accessories and leotards.
These are just a few of Ballet in Cleveland’s favorite items, and we’ll stay on the lookout for exceptional presents for ballet-lovers throughout the year. Remember that dancers (like the rest of us) always appreciate a good dose of support, encouragement and love, whatever the gift may be.
Ballet in Cleveland wishes you a very merry holiday season… and happy shopping!
Marcia Custer is a dance enthusiast currently studying at Kent State University. A Portland, Ore. native, Northeast Ohio has been her home for three years and she continues to explore its many opportunities in the dance world and beyond!